You no longer have to live with missing teeth! “Bridge” the gap caused by your lost teeth with a dental bridge. Replacing a missing tooth improves your oral health as well as your overall health, restoring your bite, oral function, and your confident smile.
Consequences of Missing Teeth
Living with a missing tooth can lead to frustration, embarrassment, and discomfort. It affects your ability to chew, and your self-esteem. However, if a lost tooth is not replaced through a restorative treatment it can cause any one of a variety of problems impacting your oral and overall health, including the following:
- Broken or fractured teeth
- Bone loss
- Gum disease/periodontitis
- Teeth drifting out of alignment
- Uneven or misaligned bite
- Jaw joint disorders, including TMJ
- Headaches, potentially of migraine-like intensity
- Neck or back pain
- Damage to existing dental work
Benefits of a Bridge
A bridge is one of the preferred restorative treatments at Dr. Brian J. Hockel’s office because it is permanent, unlike removable oral prosthetics such as a partial denture. Bridgework also is custom-designed to ensure a secure fit in the mouth. A bridge consists of the artificial tooth replacement known as the pontic, with an abutment at either end that fits over the healthy teeth that are adjacent to the area of the missing tooth. A bridge can be used to replace an individual tooth, or several teeth—even an entire dental arch of teeth, if necessary, in which case dental implants may also be used as an anchor for the bridge.
The advantages of a dental bridge include the following:
- A bridge may seem expensive up front, but a dental bridge can save you money in the long run by avoiding the effects that missing teeth can have on your health and your other teeth.
- Because a dental bridge is bonded directly into the mouth, it does not have to be removed like a partial denture. This means you can continue to eat whatever foods you want, and a bridge can be cleaned just like your other natural teeth.
- Since each dental bridge is customized for every patient, it is indistinguishable from your other natural teeth.
Our dental technician, Steve Hockel of Hockel Dental Lab, did a beautiful job on this all-porcelain bridge to replace a missing lower tooth.
We welcome you to call us at (925) 934-3434 to learn more about dental bridges in Walnut Creek, California, and schedule your consultation with our experienced dentists.